Sunday, July 12, 2015

Montevideo II (basically birthday random stuff)

When the trip started  and we left Australia, we didn't plan too much. 

 Actually, we never plan much at all. I guess that's the meaning of the blog title.  It's not a way of saying: we are pretty random.

 The one thing we both wanted was to go through all the countries we could; so it was just logical that after Uruguay and before Bolivia, we would go to Paraguay.
For the geographically challenged, this is the relevant bit of map.

We were drooling over Paraguay. One of the least touristy countries in South America, full of insanely beautiful nature, jaguars, butterflies and sweet tereré-drinking people. 

Sadly for us, Paraguay had other plans. 

Too late we found out that Chey needed a visa... but he had to request it at the Consulate of Paraguay... in Australia.

So with a little bit of sadness, we changed plans and decided to visit Iguazú falls instead, crossing through Argentina (again!) to get to Bolivia. Your loss, Paraguay!

But meanwhile, there was my birthday! 

We had this no-presents arrangement, because we had enough stuff to carry already, without any extras.

Do you think my super awesome traveling mate cared? Of course he didn't, and he sneaked out to get me the last Haruki Murakami book that I had been wanting so badly, and gorgeous pink and white flowers. 

Beautiful birthday flowers,
I also got chocolate pastries from our lovely hostess.

Om nom nom.
And as if that wasn't enough, I also got dinner at the very best restaurant in the city, which was just perfect. We got the chef to suggest dishes for both of us, as well as wine, and had an amazing time pretending we were fancy people.

You know what was also perfect?
My hair.

Now this is what a "Happy meal" looks like.
There were also TWO other girl-ladies celebrating their birthdays.
Here I am with my birthday sisters.
After my birthday we said goodbye to Nathalie, her pretty apartment and Montevideo.

A sunny last day.
But before that, we said goodbye to two (or maybe I should say three) traveling "companions": my beloved backpack Stina, and Chey's old runners.

Notice the poetic shot with the Uruguayan flag
in the background. Goodbye, old friends!
And Nathalie took a polaroid of us standing in her balcony, so I took a picture of the picture because I doubt the blog will ever have such a hipster thing ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment