Thursday, July 9, 2015

Montevideo I

 It was on a bus, then, that we arrived in Buenos Aires again for just a couple of days, to sort things out and meet up with at least one friend.

 We both felt that we had done the crazy city justice (I know we did, I lived there for 11 years) in our previous visit, so we quickly got ferry tickets to cross to Buenos Aires' clean and civilised sister: Montevideo.
Before crossing by Sea-cat, at sunset
 The ferry ride was uneventful, but a welcome change after the previous two trips by bus. And we finally got to book a room with Airbnb.

We arrived late in the night to Montevideo, and easily found a bus out of the very quiet and not-creepy-at-all bus terminal. And in less than 15 minutes were at our Airbnb place.

The apartment was glorious, clean, full of light, with one of the comfiest beds we got during the trip.

And we were so excited that we got to cook! (when I say "we" I mean "I").

Comfiest bed.
 But that was just the icing on the cake. The real treat was Nathalie, our hostess. A beautiful, vibrant, dutch girl living in Montevideo with her partner. She was lovely and welcoming, left bonobones on our pillows, shared talks about traveling, and her lovely Uruguayan wine with us, and made us feel fully at home.

And she also has a travel blog!

The following couple of days we walked all around Montevideo. It's a charming little gem, and I would say a very well kept secret.

Twin of Palacio Barolo (the one in Buenos Aires) built by the same architect
with the romantic idea that the lighthouses on top would look at each other
across the splendid Río de la Plata. Ah! it's name is Palacio Salvo.
A beautiful bookstore.
Quiet little street with the old tram tracks.
Another quiet little street in the city center.

Really, I can't really understand how, but we didn't walk into ANY gringos. And I was a bit grateful, because it felt like it was properly our city to explore.
Me and the face randomness that happens every time I meet a kitty.
Gossip dog.
Street art to rival Valparaiso.


Uruguayans are the chillest of people. Friendly, trusting, and walking around with mate in hand and the thermus under the same armpit, pouring the hot water and drinking while they walk in the most profesional way. On the bus. At the beach. Walking around the city.
But it was too awkward to take a sneaky picture of a
person mateing, so here's a selection of mates instead.

We saw all of the traditions, or Uruguay's stereotypes, walking around the street.
Mate. Clean streets. Meat eating. Some sort of vintageness. And a nice, relaxed beach. Nothing like the beaches at home, but very good to relax with a good mate in the morning. Or afternoon. Or evening.

At the outdoor flea market.
Market stuff: old number plates.
Chey looking at stuff we couldn't buy because of our fat backpacks.


At the many-meat.market (not real name)
More meat cooking (we just watched, didn't try)
Random me walking away.
Chey skipping rocks, to keep the tradition alive.
Walking away Chey on the rocks.
Daytime beach, and a tan and perfect-haired version of myself
(very different than the version of me typing this)
Fishing uruguayans. 
One of my many pictures of dead things, because I have a bit of a problem.
Beach sunset and mates, of course.
And in this wonderful city I had my birthday. But that's subjet for a different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment