Saturday, March 14, 2015

Our happy locust life

The waffles at the artisans "feria" or market are absolut YUM.
Getting to El Bolsón meant that we got to leave our stuff in a single place for a good while and relax. Share time with the family, explore the wonderful nature, celebrate the holidays... and eat. Eat as if there was not tomorrow - or as if there was tomorrow, actually, and we knew that sooner or later we were going back to the backpacker diet (a big breakfast, starving snacking through the day and a big dinner).

 Then and there it was family lunches and family dinners, grandma's food, other grandma's food, waffles... and the Best Ice Cream In The World.
 I feel a bit heretic not writing a full post worshipping Jauja's ice cream.
 I built it up so badly before getting to El Bolsón that I guess Chey was a bit skeptical about it by the time I took him to the place, but I'm pretty sure that it lived up to my stories. We tried 3 different flavours every time we went there (and we went there A LOT).

The first Jauja ice cream
 (Btw: there's a Jauja in MELBOURNE!
Know that the original is the one in El Bolsón)
The summit of the fatness was probably Christmas eve (in Argentina we celebrate Xmas eve rather than Xmas day).
 We went for dinner at my dad's girlfriend's house in a town nearby with all of my family (father's side) and all of her family.
That town is also where my other grandma's home is, so we decided to go say hi and "feliz nochebuena" to her. And it happened that she was having dinner on her own... happily, because she wanted to spend a quiet night but, as it is, having two people over for dinner is still pretty quiet, so she invited us.

We were right across the road with my dad and we decided that we could have two dinners if we kept going from one house to the other. It sounds like the script of a silly Christmas romantic comedy, but it was actually pretty nice. We had dinner #1 at my grandma's, crossed the road for dinner #2 , crossed over to toast at 12 and have some sweets, and showed up again at the big dinner after the toast, where we had more toasting, second dessert (two different cakes) and even got a few presents!


Dinner #2 and big family mess.

Me and Marielena getting dinner #1 ready.
The random adventurers and Mecha (dad's side grandma).
Tall Chey is tall.

Happy presents time!
In hindsight I can say it was a marvellous idea to get some padding for the rest of the trip, and anyway we did our share of active life, mostly up the mountains... but that's subject for next post :)

Chey and I devoted so much time to fatty coffee.
Like, seriously, so much time.
And more!
And more...
Edit: Just when I think my English is somewhat decent, Chey pointed out that i's "in hindsight" and not "on hindsight"...
*SIGH* I guess that's a mistake I'll carry with me for life :(

No comments:

Post a Comment